Looking for a low down on Call of Duty Warzone. This guide takes you through all the features of Call of Duty Modern Warfares Battle Royale mode.
We look at elements of the game such as game modes, the map and its features such as plunder, the gulags, and the ping system.
Moreover, we also look at the gameplay aspects like weapons, attachments, and equipment.
Get a competitive edge by knowing the game inside out before anyone else does.
Please use the table below to quickly jump to the information of interest to you.
What is Warzone and How to Play it?
Warzone is a free to play Battle Royale mode in Call of Duty Modern Warfare. It landed on the MW scene with the release of Season 2. Note: Players on Playstation do not need a PS Plus account to play Warzone.
Warzone follows the same idea of all Battle Royale games. Up to 150 players drop alone or with teammates into the map with nothing. They must scavenge the land looking for weapons and equipment.
They then have to use this equipment to be the last player/team left alive on the map to win the game.
The gameplay is kept moving by an ever closing ring of radioactive ash. Players caught outside the ring will suffocate and die. This, like all Battle Royales, is to keep the flow of the game alive.
This guide goes in-depth on Warzone and reveals everything you need to know about the exciting Battle Royale.
Call of Duty Warzone is available to play on PC, Xbox, and Playstation. The game is available as a stand-alone so you don’t have to purchase Modern Warfare. Warzone is also cross-platform so you can play with your friends on different platforms.
Players on PC will need at least an i5 12GB RAM and GeForce 1660 to play the game at a decent frame rate. The equivalent in AMD Rysen applies.
There is currently only one way you can play Warzone. Check it out below:
Hop into the Verdansk madness alone and battle against up to 150 players to be the last man standing for the win.
Take on Verdansk with you and your buddy. 2 players can fill the lobby max.
Join the game as a trio and battle to become the best team standing.
Battle it out in a team of four and be the last team alive to win the game.
Training Mode or Warzone Orientation is mandatory before you play your first game of Warzone. Players are brought through the various elements of the gameplay until they have a good bearing on what to do.
Warzone Orientation takes place in the Armistice Training Facility.
Plunder mode is a more casual mode compared to the Battle Royale. The objective of Plunder is to collect as much cash as possible. The team that reaches 1 million in cash by 30 minutes, wins the game.
Players spawn into the game with their chosen loadout. If they die, they can respawn into the game after a 15 seconds timer.
In order to collect cash and bag your earnings. You must deposit the cash at areas around the map. Cash can be deposited at Helicopters pads and Supply Balloons.
Helicopter pads have no limit on cash that can be deposited. However, Supply Balloons can take a maximum deposit of $150,000.
COD Warzone Map
The Warzone map is vast and dynamic with many different areas to explore. From stadiums to hospitals and even supermarkets. It brings with it a host of long-range and close-quarters engagements.
If you want to dominate more games. Check out our in-depth guide on the best landing locations for loot and rotations in Warzone Battle Royale.
Warzone brings with it all new and unique elements to the world of Battle Royale. Including the unique Cash and Gulag features.
Cash or money is Warzone’s in-game currency system that can be used to purchase special items and killstreaks from Buy Stations around the map.
Cash can be found in stacks on the ground and in loot caches. Large stacks contain more cash than smaller stacks. You can give your teammate cash if they need it to buy something from the Buy Station.
When you die, your body can be looted and will contain the cash you collected during your gameplay. Enemy players can loot this cash from you.
Buy Stations can be found around the map and contain weapons, killstreaks, and other special items. Players need to use cash mentioned above to purchase equipment from the Buy Stations.
Loadout drops will come at intervals throughout the match. Every interval a plane will fly overhead and drop a crate that contains a mix of up to 10 class loadouts.
The unique thing about Loadout Drops is players can choose their loadouts in the meu prior to the match starting.
Essentially, whoever gets to the Loadout Drop first gets a choice of their 10 loadouts chosen beforehand in the in-game menu. Selecting a loadout will replace everything you have in your inventory prior to obtaining the loadout.
Check out our post on the 5 best loadout drops in Call of Duty Warzone.
Look caches can be found throughout the world of Warzone. Loot caches are small crates that contain loot. Loot found in caches can be all types of rarities from Common to Legendary.
Missions/ Contracts / Bounties
Missions are available through finding mission tablets scattered throughout the map. The mission can be activated and on completion, players will be rewarded with Cash, XP, and weapon XP and more.
Players can also be rewarded special abilities such as being able to see where the final circle will be within 10 minutes of the match starting.
Here are some examples of the contracts available in-game:
- Timed Run
- Assassination/Bounty (Eliminate specific player)
- Scavenger Hunt (Collect Scavenger Crates)
- Domination (Capture Domination Point)
- Random (Random Mission)
- If no Bounty is available for the Assassination Mission, Consolation Cash will be awarded.
Gulag / Respawning
The Gulag is the area of the map where players are sent when they bleed out and die. Here, they can battle it out 1v1 mode with another fallen player. The player who wins the 1v1 is released from the Gulag and spawned back into the game
Note, players when downed have the last stand chance, where they can try pull their pistol out and take out the enemy player. They can then be revived by their teammates.
The other way players can be revived into a round of Warzone is to use a Respawn Token. Respawn Tokens can be found in Loot Crates and Supply Drops. They can also be bought from the Supply Stations for cash.
Similar to Apex Legends, Warzone features a ping system. This enables players to mark areas of interest and items scattered around the map to their teammates. Players can literally ping everything to their teammates. Some examples include:
- Mark a waypoint for teammates
- Different bases around the map (dangerous and safe)
- Enemies spotted
- Potential areas of the map that require caution
There are 5 types of rarities in the game. Weapons and other items follow these rarities. Each rarity gives the weapon different attachments. For example, a Legendary variant of the FAMAS will have a slight edge over the Epic variant and so on.
Below is a table of all the weapons available in Call of Duty Warzone. The list includes ARs, LMGs, Snipers and more. Weapon damage follows the same stats as Modern Warfare Multiplayer.
We have guides on every weapon in Modern Warfare. Click on a weapon below if you would like a more in-depth guide.
Moreover, check out our in-depth guide on the top 10 best weapons right now in Warzone.
|Assault Rifles||AK-47, FAMAS, M13, M4A1, FN SCAR, RAM 7|
|SMG||MP5, MP7, PP19 Bizon, P90|
|Sniper Rifles||Dragunov, AX-50|
|Shotgun||R9-0, Model 680, Origin 12|
|Pistol||M19, .357 All Pistols Reviews|
|Marksman||Kar98k, MK2 Carbine|
|Launcher||Crossbow, RPG, MGL 32 Launcher|
There are currently 5 types of ammo in Warzone. This list will be updated as we play the game more.
|AMMO TYPE||COMPATIBLE WEAPON|
|9mm||MP5, MP7, PP19 Bizon, P90|
|7.62mm||AK-47, FAMAS, M13, FN SCAR|
|5.56mm||M4A1, RAM 7|
|12 Guage||R9-0, Model 680, Origin 12|
|Rockets||Crossbow, RPG, MGL 32 Launcher|
Attachments are added to your weapon to change the weapons base stats. These are attachments that can be attached to weapons in premade loadouts via loadout drops. Attachments cannot be found as in-game loot.
|Reflex Scope||All weapons|
|Big Silencer||Snipers and LMGs|
|Small Silencer||ARs and SMGs|
|Laser Sight||ARs and SMGs|
|Foregrip||ARs, SMGs, and LMGs|
|Bipod||LMGs and Sniper Rifles|
|Extended Mags||ARs and SMGs|
|Stock||ARs and SMGs|
|Holographic Sight||All weapons|
|Reflex Scope||All weapons|
|ACOG Scope||All weapons|
Below is a list of the perks in Call of Duty Warzone. There are a total of 20 as of now. We will update this list as more are released or added to the game.
- High Alert – Grants vision when an enemy looks at you from outside of your FoV.
- Spotter – Enemy equipment within a small radius is visible and highlighted to you, even through walls.
- Tracker – Enemies leave footprints as they move, and increased crouch movement speed.
- Stalker – Faster movement while aiming down sight.
- Marksman – Allows you to identify enemies from farther away by showing their names at a greater distance.
- Sleight of Hand – Reload your weapons 50% faster than normal.
- Armorer – You use armor plates 20% faster, and they supply 10% more armor.
- Artisan Tastes – Weapons you pick up have a chance to automatically upgrade.
- Deep Pockets – Any usable equipment you pick up has an extra use.
- Grenadier – Any throwable equipment you pick up has an extra use.
- Healer – Your medic items continue to heal for an additional 25% of their value over the next 20 seconds.
- Thief – When you Harvest, generate 20% more plunder.
- Ammo Scavenger – Enemies you kill always drop some ammunition.
- Armor Scavenger – Enemies you kill always drop some armor plates.
- Medic Scavenger – Enemies you kill always drop some medic items.
- Plunder Scavenger – Enemies you kill always drop some Plunder.
- Bounty Hunter – If you kill someone with more Perks than you, gain enough points to match them, and then you can replace this perk.
- Ghost – You are invisible to drones and sensors.
- Sneaky – Your Footsteps are invisible, and enemies are not warned when you track them.
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal – Explosive Resistance, and you can capture enemy claymores and mines.
Armor & Health Regeneration
Before discussing the armor it’s important to mention that there is no health equipment like in Blackout. Health auto-generates.
There are armor plates scattered throughout Warzone that players can equip. Each armor plate you equip adds 50 health points to your base health of 100.
Every player upon dropping into a new game will have 2 armor plates equipped automatically.
You can add up to a total of 3 armor plates bringing your maximum health 250. Players can also hold up to 5 additional armor plates in their inventory that they can use to repair or replace damaged ones.
When players smash enemy player’s armor. A small blue shield will appear near the enemy players’ bodies along with a crunch sound. Also, when your armor has been depleted, your screen flashes blue for a few seconds.
There are a bunch of Lethal Equipment to have fun within Warzone. Most of these are the same as the Multiplayer mode:
- Frag – A deployable pin activated grenade.
- Semtex – A sticky grenade with no timer. Players can hold for as long as they want. The semtex will only explode a few seconds after hitting the target.
- Molotov – A throwable petrol bomb that bursts into a barrage of flames on impact. Causing damage to the target.
- Throwing Knife – Chuck a lethal knife at your opponent. One hit one kill, the way it’s always been.
- Claymore – Plant a claymore inside a doorway or on a corner. The explosive only damages targets on the directional side it has been placed.
- C4 – Plant a C4 onto a strategic route or throw it at the enemy. It causes a high damage explosion.
- Thermite – Thermite explodes violently into a burst of sparks and flames causing damage to any player caught in the radius.
- AT Mine – AT Mine is a plantable Mine designed to take out enemy vehicles and players.
- Shield Turret – The Shield Turret is a deployable turret with a bulletproof glass shield to protect players manning it.
The Stim is the only healing equipment available in Warzone. Unlike other Battle Royales, your health auto-regenerates itself. Without the need to use first aid kits or bandages like in other BRs.
- Smoke Grenades – Smoke grenades emit a cloud of smoke upon detonation. Best used to get out of a sticky situation.
- Flashbang – The Flashbang blinds and partially stuns the enemy.
- Gas Mask – The Gas Mask is used to counter the gas ring. It can be purchased using plunder from the Supply Stations.
- Concussion – Upon use, the enemy’s movement is impaired and sight is partially effected.
- Decoy – Use a decoy to distract other players. The Decoy sounds like gunfire.
- Gas Canister – A gas canister that emits poisonous gas upon detonation.
- Snapshot – Snapshot grenades explode and temporarily reveal enemy locations.
- Recon Drone – Deploy a Recon Drone to scout the area for enemy players. The Recon Drone can mark enemies so they are highlighted to your teammates.
- Tac Cover Shield – Deploy a metal shield that protects you from incoming enemy gunfire.
- Heartbeat Sensor – Take out a small tablet that detects nearby enemies by tracking their heartbeat.
- Trophy System – A deployable drone that blocks incoming enemy projectiles.
- Scrambler Drone – The Scramble Drone when deployed interferes with enemy electronics and HUD.
- EMP Drone – The EMP Drone is a deployable drone. Players can detonate and temporarily disable enemy electronics.
- Radar Drone – The Radar Drone can temporarily detect enemies on the minimap. Similar to a UAV.
There are 5 vehicles available to man in Warzone. These vehicles as of now are listed below. We will update this post as more vehicles are added.
The ATV makes a return from Blackout. This 2 seater quad is great for getting over steep terrain. Although it is very noisy so can give away your position.
The SUV is a sports jeep built for speed and perfect for getting out of a sticky situation with you and your squad. It seats 4 players.
The Cargo Truck sits 2 people in the front and space in the back for players to stand or crouch in. It is your last resort because it is slow and very noisy.
The Tac Rover is similar to the SUV but just a little smaller. It’s built for climbing steep terrain. It seats 4 players.
What COD Battle Royale wouldn’t be complete without a Helicopter. This beast is the fastest vehicle in the game by a long shot. It can man your whole squad.
The Battle Pass in Warzone is the same Battle Pass featured in Call of Duty Modern Warfare. So all progression made in Multiplayer and Warzone will count towards leveling up the Battle Pass.