Most Wanted 2005 is arguably the best Need for Speed ever made. People loved the underground vibes mixed with high-speed cop chases. I went back to play it on my old PS2 and even though it was a nostalgia trip, it looks dreadful.
Speaking of Underground, we have an NFS Underground 2 modding guide that you should check out if you’re a fan of old skool NFS.
I imagined the graphics being so good back in the day. Unfortunately, the old PS2 graphics just don’t hold up in this day and age. You could clearly see jagged edges around the cars and the smoke trails seem to be giant blocks of grey pixels. Everything isn’t smoothed out like in current-gen platforms.
But there’s hope yet. Here’s where computers take the stage as superior, or so the PC master race claims. But seriously, I went searching around on YouTube and Google and I found a free copy of Most Wanted.
On top of that, it has also had a redux complete with improved graphics, added cars, and 4K compatibility.
To save you downloading the game and messing around with folders and mod files. I have put the entire game and mod files into one zipped folder for your ease.
Download Need for Speed Most Wanted Free
Below is a link to a torrent file which will you will need to download the game. You will need to download a torrent client such as Bittorrrent to download it. I suggest downloading the classic version. The password to the file is: redux
Setting the Correct Scripts
Before you run the TextMod you must change some settings in the Scripts folder. Please see the step-by-step guide below. Please make sure you do this before running TextMod.
- Go to the Scripts folder
- Select the file named “NFSMostWanted.WidescreenFix”. Once this file is open set your screen resolution and controller gamepad setting if you’re playing on a controller. See the image below:
NOTE: Set the resolution to whatever your monitor is. I chose 1920×1080 because that’s what I play in. Also, the gamepad setting here is 2. This is for the PS2 configuration. Please select 1 for the Xbox 360 configuration.
- Next, go to the NFSMWHDReflections file and copy the same resolutions you used for the Widescreen settings.
- REMEMBER to hit FILE and SAVE before exiting each file.
Running Textmod & Improved Graphics for Most Wanted Redux
This is super easy to set up but make sure you run this Textmod every time you want to play Most Wanted. Follow these steps below:
- Open the file you downloaded named: “NFSMW REDUX 2020”. It’s a RAR file so you may need WinRAR to open it. You can download WinRAR for free on their official website.
- Open the folder and look for the folder called TPF Files. This is the TextMod folder. You need this to run the updated graphics.
- Select 1 and then 2 marked on the image below.
- When here, scroll down and select the speed.exe file.
- Once you have the TextMod application ready. Choose the packages you want by clicking the small folder (number 3)
- Now select the packages you want to run. These are the tpf files. You should see them below. If they’re not there, click Browse and look for them in the TPF folder mentioned above.
- Once you have the packages selected. You should see them in the box on the left “selected packages”(number 4) These mods are ready to run now. Hit Run(number 5).
Finally, the game should start up with the mods installed and ready to play.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: There was a recent update to the Widescreen File. If you get the prompt to update the file, cancel it. This update has been causing crash issues. Just skip the update and we’ll keep this post updated until further notice.
UPDATE 3/6/2020: If you have already updated the game as mentioned above and your game is still not working, try this. In the Widescreen Setting File. Change “WriteSettingsFile” to 1 and make sure to play the game in full HD meaning 1080.
The Widescreen Settings can be found in the Scripts folder. Please refer to the guide above if you’re not sure how to adjust the settings.
SOURCE: The mod has been created by a Youtuber called KryZeePlays. You can check out his channel for more awesome gaming content.